Monday, January 30, 2012

Happy Brazil Day!

What is Brazil Day you ask? I’m not really sure. But I got to sleep in until 11 and have no classes so I can’t complain at all. We are officially on the amazon, which is pretty awesome. It’s crazy to see the hundreds of miles of rainforest that we always hear about in Brazil. The Amazon is massive. My only point of comparison is that of the Mississippi River, which I’ve heard gets up to a mile wide. That is nothing compared to the Amazon. There are points in the Amazon which are a stupid distance apart. There is more fresh water in a mile stretch of this river than in the entire state of Colorado, there has to be.

The cool thing to do lately has been to lay out by the pool and get tan. Or rather for me… to get burnt. I’m pretty fried already, which isn’t really making me too stoked to stay out on the amazon for 2 days, 3 nights. 13 or so of us booked a 3 day 2 night trip where we do everything you’ve ever wanted to do on the Amazon, including piranha fishing!!

Nothing about this trip has been conventional. I mean, right at this very moment, it is 1pm (Denver time, 4pm Brazil Time) on a Monday. Normally I would likely be sitting in class, going to workout after classes, and going home and watching TV or something lame like that. But today, I have no school, and all I have done today is lay out and swim. It’s pretty phenomenal. I’m going to say this a million times through this trip, and I’ve already probably mumbled it a few thousands, but I never in a million years thought I would be right here, right now, but I am.

The food has started to get really old. Everyday its pasta, potatoes, steamed veggies, and some random soup. I’ve eaten more carbs in the past week than I have in the past month or so. I don’t think I’ve gained any weight or anything, but I definitely haven’t kept up on my lifting schedule which is a little disappointing. However, I have started lifting with a kid Matt Saverin who is pretty buff and I think we can stay on a pretty decent schedule.

Tomorrow morning I will be leaving for 3 days and 2 nights on the amazon, and although its going to be hot as hell, I am pretty excited. I’ve started taking meds to combat malaria in the inevitable case that I get bit by a mosquito. As I said earlier, we are doing some awesome stuff, piranha fishing, seeing the meeting of the waters, where 2 rivers meet but stay separated for about a mile before finally mixing, and all the cool stuff like that, which I will undoubtedly mention in the next blog. I think that’s about it. Class is interesting, we move super quick since we only meet 21 times per class, which means my academic semester is already a 7th over!

It’s a rough life living a bot and sailing the world, but someone has to do it!

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment