Friday, February 10, 2012

So yesterday was Neptune day. I now have a shaved head. Neptune day is a day when pollywogs become shellbacks by crossing the equator. Neptune day is pretty crazy. We are woken up right around 7am to a parade of stewards in the hallway playing the drums and crashing cymbals. They then come over the intercom and say that we have angered King Neptune by crossing the equator in the Amazon and not performing the ritual, we are told to put on a swimsuit or old clothes and go get breakfast.

I went up and grabbed breakfast with the gang I’ve been hanging out with and head up to the pool deck. The ritual of Neptune day consists of getting a weird slimey substance poured over you then jumping in the pool. Needless to say I was pretty excited to be one of the first people to jump in line, and Max and I were definitely those guys who did cannonballs to splash everybody. After we jumped in they had started shaving heads and there was a huge crowd around cheering everyone on.

Max and I jumped up front and they went to town shaving our heads. It was pretty awesome because when they finished I stood up and threw my arms up and everybody cheered! It was pretty cool, not gonna lie. They then called on me as the god of Neptune and everybody bowed at my feet…. Just kidding, but that’d be cool. I hung out upstairs for a good 3 hours until everyone went down for lunch. My friends Kael, Benedict and Ryan all got mohawks, and Kael looks super goofy haha. We all went down to Hannahs room and she touched up all of our shaved heads and mohawks.

The next thing on the agenda was lunch! It was Taco Day! They set up an awesome taco bar for us, all the fixings!  It was the best lunch thusfar, and I ate far too much. It’s crazy to me that they give us days off of class for things like Neptune Day, but I guess that’s one of those things that makes Semester at Sea great. It’s been a hell of an experience, and we are going to what I am sure will be a hugely eye opening experience in Ghana.

Shoot me an email! Mathew.Schnitzler.S12@semesteratsea.org  

Much Love,

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment